Srinagar, November 30 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, 27 years after Kashmir witnessed the gruesome killing of over 50 civilians at Gaw Kadal in Srinagar, the case is back to haunt the puppet authorities.

In a series of observations, the investigating wing of Human Rights Commission of the territory has pointed towards several lacunae on part of the authorities that led to the killings.

A report prepared by the commission has said that it was grotesquely inappropriate that in a matter where allegations of serious human rights violations are made out against the Indian forces’ personnel, after lapse of more than 26 years investigation agencies had failed to establish individual /joint responsibility of the personnel involved in the Gaw Kadal firing incident of 21st January, 1990.

The reports based on the enquiry by the investigating wing of the commission said, “There are contradictory versions from authorities as to whether curfew/ prohibitory orders had been in imposition or not. The director general of police J&K in his report has acknowledged that curfew had been imposed (as also borne out by the FIR), but the authorities have failed to identify the magistrate detailed on the concerned day to Gaw Kadal area.”

The investigating wing stated, “There have been serious shortcomings in the investigation of the case. It is particularly shocking that a matter as serious as this could not attract the attention of senior police officers to take the matters to its logical/ genuine conclusion respecting the spirit of law and upholding the dignity of human life.”

On January 21, 1990, two days after Jagmohan was appointed Governor to control mass protests in occupied Kashmir, India troops of Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) opened fire on a procession at Gaw Kadal, killing over 50 people. Later a case was lodged in the incident at Kral Khud police station but the case was closed as untraced in 1998 and the final report has not been submitted to the court for judicial determination.

On May 1, 2012, the Chairperson International Forum for Justice and Human Rights, Muhammad Ahsan Untoo, filed a petition seeking re-investigation of the case. The commission directed the DGP and DC of Srinagar to investigate the case, but after their non-compliance, the commission asked its investigating wing to re-investigate the case.

Leave a Reply

Kashmir Media Service | Login