Monday was tough day for troops, admits CRPF officer

Srinagar, September 04 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, relatives and friends of Fayaz Ahmed Wani, who was martyred in the firing of Indian troops during a cordon and search operation in Chew Kalan area of Pulwama district, yesterday, rejected the Indian Army’s version and said that he was directly hit when he stepped out of his house to turn up for his duty.

Fayaz Ahmed Wani, 30, a postgraduate in English, worked in a private pathology laboratory in Pulwama. He was set to leave home for his Lab when he heard about the search operation. On seeing soldiers dotting the entire area around his home, he decided to sit indoors until the search was over.

“He stepped out of his home to catch up with his friends only after the search in our village was over,” said a shocked relative of Wani. His close friend, who wished not to be identified, said that the friends were lounging on some heavy wooden logs when the Indian soldiers directly fired a volley of bullets on them. “We were a group of 8 to 10 there when we were fired upon,” he said, adding that Wani fell down with a thud on receiving a bullet. “We shifted him to hospital but he could not survive,” he said, letting out a howl of pain and anger.

According to another friend of the martyred youth, Fayaz Ahmed Wani had never been a part of any stone pelting crowd. “He has never ever thrown stones on the forces and even today he was not pelting any stones on the forces,” said Showkat Ahmed. Fayaz Ahmed Wani was the youngest son of Muhammad Ahsan Wani, a farmer.

Meanwhile, Indian troops on Monday cordoned off more than a dozen villages including Chew Kalan, Muran, Naira, Rohmu, Belaw, Mitrigam, Gasu, Chek, Mirgund, Sheikhpora, Hanjan, Frasipura and Kamrazipura. Locals hit streets and clashed with the forces’ personnel to protest against the search operations.

A senior CRPF officer said that it was a tough day for the troops. He said, it is always challenging to fight militants on the one hand and to deal with the protests on the other.

A resident of Chew Kalan said that when announcements were made from mosque loudspeakers asking people to come out into the open, “Within no time, angry youth blocked roads with wooden logs and clashed with the forces’ personnel.”

Leave a Reply

Kashmir Media Service | Login
%d bloggers like this: