Srinagar, May 16 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, the family of illegally detained Kashmiri youth, Peerzada Muhammad Ashraf, has expressed concern about his safety as the Indian police have not produced him in court during the last six months.

The family of Peerzada Muhammad Ashraf says that he remains illegally detained for more than a decade now even when he has already been granted bail in all the cases. The family says that over a decade they have already spent more than two million rupees on his court case to prove his innocence.

Peerzada Muhammad Ashraf, a resident of Batagund Verinag, was arrested on December 2006 in connection with a grenade attack that had occurred on July 19, 2004 during a government-sponsored health Mela at Kapran in Verinag area of Islamabad district.

“Ashraf was a student of the 3rd year in undergraduate course at Boys Degree College Khanabal when he was picked up by police. He also used to work as a daily wager in the Roads & Buildings Department. Ashraf was arrested on false charges of being involved in the grenade blast incident at Kapran during a government function, making him a scapegoat while the prime accused in this incident was actually Syed Murtaza, a National Conference activist. Murtaza was picked up from his home by the police three days after this incident but was granted bail and released after remaining in jail for two years. After his release, Ashraf was arrested by the police and since then many false cases were imposed on him and in all of which he has been granted bail as police failed to prove those frivolous charges every time,” says Peerzada Firdous Ahmed, the younger brother of Ashraf.

The family says police, later on slapped draconian law Public Safety Act 13 times on Ashraf, which was quashed by the High Court every time. Ashraf was also charged for pelting stones on Indian forces despite him being lodged in jail for more than a decade since 2004, the family adds.

Leave a Reply

Kashmir Media Service | Login
%d bloggers like this: