Curfew further tightened in IOK » Kashmir Media Service

Normal life affected on 36th day

Srinagar, September 09 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, curfew and restrictions, imposed from August 5, have been further tightened by the Indian authorities to prevent Muharram processions across the territory.

The commercial hub of Lal Chowk and adjoining areas of Srinagar were completely sealed with concertina wires placed at all entry points and two major arterial stretches, MA Road and Residency Road, to restrict public movement. Even ambulances and medical staff were not allowed to move. Indian troops drove around the city, announcing through loudspeakers that strict action would be taken against violators of curfew.

However, people defied curfew and participated in processions at many places including Abiguzar locality in Srinagar. At least six more similar processions were taken out, with police detaining all the participants. Police also beat the mourners with bamboo sticks and fired pellets.

Meanwhile, normal life remained adversely affected in the Kashmir valley and five districts of Jammu region on the 36th consecutive day, today, with all markets remained closed while transport was off the road. Internet, mobile and landline service in the territory continued to remain suspended leaving the Kashmir valley cut off from the rest of the world. The military lockdown has rendered the common man with acute shortage of essential commodities and hospitals without medicines. Patients have been adversely hit by the clampdown.

Journalists complained of torture, vandalism, harassment and abuse at the hands of Indian forces’ personnel in the territory. Police and paramilitary forces not only disallowed the journalists to visit any part of Srinagar, but also mistreated them and broke their cameras. A female journalist Rifat Mohi-ud-Din was abused and her car was damaged by the men in uniform.

Meanwhile, the international media has confirmed that a teenage Kashmiri, Asrar Ahmad, had died after being hit by pellets fired by Indian troops in Srinagar. The media has belied the Indian authorities’ claim that the boy was killed after being hit by a stone. Despite curfew, forceful anti-India and pro-freedom demonstrations were triggered by the incident. Many youth have been killed and blinded by the pellets fired by the troops in occupied Kashmir since July 2016.

Speakers at a seminar on Kashmir in Indian state of Karnataka while criticizing the Indian government for converting Jammu and Kashmir into a living prison said that New Delhi has imposed a war on people of the territory.

Leave a Reply

Kashmir Media Service | Login