Srinagar, October 11 (KMS): In occupied Kashmir, news portals are in off-line mode since August 5 when Narendra Modi-led communal government in New Delhi scrapping the special status of Kashmir imposed communication clampdown in the territory.

Scores of websites from occupied Kashmir have last been updated in the early hours of August 5 and till date these portals have frozen. Even newspapers in occupied Kashmir are not able to update their websites.

Shahid Imran, who operates ‘Kashmir Crown’, said that he suffered huge losses due to communications clampdown. “I have to shut my two offices in North Kashmir and cut the salaries of several employees. I was not expecting a lockdown of this magnitude. This time it was a disaster for all and journalists suffered heavily,” he deplored.

Irfan Ahmed who runs ‘Kashmir Patriot’ said that updating a website in Kashmir is not possible. “Internet for journalists is available only at one place where you have to make way for others after 10 to 15 minutes. So minute to minute update is impossible and further there is now news flow at local level as communication blockade persists, he added.

Ishtiyaq Ahmed, who operates ‘Roshan Kashmir’, said that he lost revenue as he failed to live up to the expectations of his sponsors. “We couldn’t upload advertisements due to internet shutdown,” he said, adding that phone and internet connectivity had been restricted in the territory during mass uprisings in 2008, 2010 and 2016, but this time the blockade is complete and very harsh.


Leave a Reply

Kashmir Media Service | Login
%d bloggers like this: