Leh Apex Body leader placed under house arrest, internet suspended in Ladakh

Leh: Ahead of today’s planned silent peace march in Ladakh, the BJP-led administration has placed the co-chairman of the Leh Apex Body (LAB) under house arrest. Additionally, mobile internet services have been suspended across the Ladakh region of Indian illegally occupied Jammu and Kashmir.
According to Kashmir Media Service, Cherring Dorjay Lakruk, co-chairman of the LAB, one of the two groups demanding political rights for Ladakhis, confirmed that he was detained at his residence and prevented from leaving. Speaking to mediamen, Lakruk said, “I’ve been receiving calls from people telling me they’re being stopped from coming to Leh. Given the current restrictions, I don’t think the peace march will take place today.”
The peace march, called by the Leh Apex Body to express solidarity with the families of four civilians killed by Indian forces on September 24, was scheduled to begin from Singay Namgyal Chowk and proceed to Shanti Stupa. The protest also aimed to demand the restoration of statehood for Ladakh, the implementation of the Sixth Schedule, and the release of detained youth. The march had the support of the Kargil Democratic Alliance (KDA).
However, this morning, LAB leaders confirmed that strict restrictions had been imposed, preventing movement towards the planned protest site. Reports from residents in Ladakh also said that mobile internet services have been suspended since Friday night.
The suspension of internet services came shortly after the Leh administration, under the leadership of New Delhi’s appointed BJP Lieutenant Governor, reimposed a series of restrictions in the region. These included a ban on gatherings of more than five people, rallies, public assemblies, and the use of loudspeakers. The restrictions were only lifted on Wednesday after a 21-day period of curfew-like conditions.








