Ladakh

Arrests continue over Leh violence despite bail orders: Bar Association

LAB rejects Modi regime’s claims of restored normalcy in Ladakh

Leh: Despite local courts in Leh granting bail to dozens of detainees, the Ladakh Police continue to arrest more people in connection with the September 24 violence, the Bar Association, Leh, has said.

According to Kashmir Media Service, Bar President Mohammad Shafi Lassu told reporters in Leh that so far around 75 people have been arrested, while 40 have already been granted bail. “More bail hearings are scheduled in the coming days,” Lassu said, terming the continued arrests a “pressure tactic by the administration” to intimidate protesters and suppress dissent.

The violence had erupted during a hunger strike led by climate activist Sonam Wangchuk, who had been fasting for 35 days demanding constitutional safeguards and statehood for Ladakh. On September 24, security forces opened fire on peaceful protesters, killing four people and injuring nearly 100 others, following which Wangchuk ended his fast.

According to lawyers, 14 more detainees were released on Monday, while 26 others had earlier been granted interim bail. However, new arrests continue daily under the pretext of investigation.

A senior police officer in Ladakh claimed that the arrests were part of a “continuing probe”.

Meanwhile, the Leh Apex Body (LAB)—one of the two key groups spearheading Ladakh’s ongoing movement—rejected the administration’s claims of restored normalcy. LAB co-chairman Chering Dorjay demanded an immediate end to restrictions, the release of all detainees, and the restoration of mobile internet services.

“These steps are essential to restore public confidence,” Dorjay said, accusing the authorities of harassing local village heads (numberdars) for mobilizing people during the LAB-led hunger strike from September 10 to 24.

Read also

Back to top button