India

Muslims targeted in communal violence and biased police action in Madhya Pradesh

Bhopal: Tension erupted in Sihora town in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur district, after members of the Hindu community provoked Muslims during Tarawih prayers, leading to violent clashes. Residents said Muslims bore the brunt of the attacks, with stones thrown at them, their homes and businesses vandalised, and several men, including the mosque’s imam, detained, while Hindu aggressors moved largely unchallenged.

According to Kashmir Media Service, the incident occurred in Azad Chowk, where a Durga temple and a mosque are situated close to each other. Police were deployed heavily following the clashes. Videos of the violence circulated widely on social media. Authorities said the confrontation began during an aarti at the temple.

A Muslim resident said that “the aarti conducted was unusually large compared to routine practice.” She said that the Hindu ritual typically involved around ten participants, but nearly 40–45 people gathered during Thursday night, accompanied by loud sound systems despite restrictions on loudspeakers in the area. She further said the programme was held during Tarawih prayers, even though police had earlier instructed that religious activities should not overlap with mosque prayers. “The sound was extremely loud and disturbed the Tarawih prayers,” she said.

A 15-year-old Muslim boy reportedly went to request lowering the volume and was verbally abused and physically assaulted. Rumours then falsely spread that he had damaged a safety grill at the temple premises, escalating tensions.

Stone-pelting followed from both sides, but residents said police disproportionately targeted Muslims, firing teargas inside the mosque compound and confining Muslim neighbourhoods while Hindu groups freely moved through the area, chanting “Jai Shri Ram,” vandalising homes, vehicles, and shops, and even setting one home on fire.

Around 40–45 Muslim men were detained, despite many only attending prayers, and residents said police used abusive language and damaged doors during searches of Muslim homes. Fruit vendors and other Muslim-owned businesses near the bus stand reportedly suffered losses.

Due to the violence and restrictions, Friday prayers on the first Friday of Ramadan could not be held, as the mosque remained locked. Residents criticised mainstream media for showing only one side of the story, calling the portrayal of Muslims as aggressors false.

Police said the situation was under control, but local residents described continued fear and confinement in Muslim areas, highlighting the selective nature of security operations and the targeted attacks during the holy month.

Read also

Back to top button