Pakistan

‘Hostile countries’ behind false campaign linking Bondi Beach shooting to Pakistan: Attaullah Tarar

Islamabad: Information Minister Attaullah Tarar said on Wednesday that it was falsely claimed after the Bondi Beach shooting in Australia that one of the attackers was from Pakistan, holding “hostile countries” responsible for this campaign.

According to Kashmir Media Service, the tragic attack by two men on Sunday resulted in the death of 16 people, including one of the attackers. Soon after the incident, a Pakistan-origin man living in Sydney was misidentified as one of the attackers. Later, it was confirmed that among the father-son duo of suspects, the former, 50-year-old Sajid Akram, was from India, and the latter, 24-year-old Naveed Akram, was born in Australia.

“When the incident happened, certain media outlets were very quick to state that one of the attackers was from Pakistan and the other one was born in Australia. “There was no evidence to prove this claim, there was no documentation, and there was no verification of this claim. But somehow, we know that this campaign was launched from hostile countries trying to malign Pakistan,” Tarar said during a media briefing in Islamabad today.

The minister continued, “In Israel and India, this campaign was proliferated and posted on social media platforms, as well as electronic media platforms, which is very, very sad.”

He highlighted that Pakistan had been a frontline state in the war against terrorism and continued to combat terrorists. He reiterated that there was not even a shred of evidence or any reliable source to back the claim that one of the Bondi Beach attackers was from Pakistan. Tarar added that the Government of Pakistan swiftly condemned the attack, with both the President and the Prime Minister expressing their deep sorrow and regret.

Tarar further stated that the “misinformation campaign” against Pakistan was run deliberately, adding that it saddened him that very well-reputed media outlets fell prey to this “disinformation campaign”. The minister said that these media houses and outlets, operating globally, had editorial boards and systems in place to verify information. “There are structures, there is a hierarchy through which information is passed on, and editorial control is exercised. Even then, they failed to exercise the basic norms of journalism,” he said, reiterating that it was falsely claimed that one of the attackers was from Pakistan.

The claim, he said, was refuted as Indian police issued a press release on Tuesday stating that one of the suspects was from Hyderabad in India. He added that it had also been confirmed that the Indian embassy in Sydney had issued the suspect his passport.

“In fact, he travelled to the Philippines on that Indian passport as confirmed by the Philippines authorities,” Tarar said. “So, I don’t know why this campaign was run. But, it is very, very unfortunate.”

Tarar also questioned how it was possible that the Indian government did not know that the suspects were of “Indian origin or had Indian passports or were Indian citizens”. “But unfortunately, there was a vicious campaign to instantly say that one of the attackers, the father, was a Pakistani national,” he added.

Tarar also appreciated Australian authorities for “conducting themselves very professionally throughout the investigation. Despite the vicious campaign which was run all over the international media, they did not cast any aspersions in this regard, and they actually waited for this information to be verified”.

Reiterating that there was “irrefutable evidence of Indian terrorism in Pakistan”, he said that the country was not just involved in funding terrorism but also planning the attacks in Balochistan and KP.

Read also

Back to top button